Sola gratia, by grace alone, Sola fide, by faith alone , Sola scriptura, by Scripture alone, Solus Christus, Christ alone , Soli Deo gloria, Glory to God alone

Sunday, August 06, 2006

"Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners" by John Bunyan

"But one day, amongst all the sermons our parson made, his subject was, to treat of the Sabbath-day, and of the evil of breaking that, either with labor, sports or otherwise. Now I was, notwithstanding my religion, one that took much delight in all manner of vice, and especially that was the day that I did solace myself therewith, wherefore I fell in my conscience under his sermon, thinking and believing that he made that sermon on purpose to show me my evil doing; and at that time I felt what
guilt was, though never before, that I can remember; but then I was, for the present, greatly loaden therewith, and so went home when the sermon was ended, with a great burden upon my spirit.

This, for that instant, did benumb the sinews of my best delights, and did embitter my former pleasures to me; but behold, it lasted not, for before I had well dined, the trouble began to go off my mind, and my heart returned to his old course: but oh! how glad was I, that this trouble was gone from me, and that the fire was put out, that I might sin again without control! Wherefore, when I had satisfied nature with my food, I shook the sermon out of my mind, and to my old custom of sports and gaming I returned with great delight.

But the same day, as I was in the midst of a game at cat, and having struck it one blow from the hole, just as I was about to strike it the second time, a voice did suddenly dart from heaven into my soul, which said, Wilt thou leave thy sins and go to heaven, or have thy sins and go to hell? At this I was put to an exceeding maze; wherefore, leaving my cat upon the ground, I looked up to heaven, and was as if I had, with the eyes of my understanding, seen the Lord Jesus looking down upon me, as being very hotly displeased with me, and as if He did severely threaten me with some
grievous punishment for these and other my ungodly practices."

John Bunyan gives an account of his life before he believed. His book "Grace abounding" is his spiritual life story. This is a very good book to read.

Related Tags: , , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe in Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online Add Reading the great Protestant books to Newsburst from CNET News.com Add to Google Subscribe in FeedLounge