Sola gratia, by grace alone, Sola fide, by faith alone , Sola scriptura, by Scripture alone, Solus Christus, Christ alone , Soli Deo gloria, Glory to God alone

Monday, August 21, 2006

"The Heavenly footman" by John Bunyan

"1. The saints of old, they being willing and resolved for heaven, what could stop them? Could fire and faggot, sword or halter, filthy dungeons, whips, bears, bulls, lions, cruel rackings, stoning, starving, nakedness, etc.? “And in all these things they were more than conquerors, through Him that loved them,” who had also made them “willing in the day of his power.”

2. See again, on the other side, the children of the devil, because they are not willing, how many shifts and starting-holes they will have: I have married a wife, I have a farm, I shall offend my landlord, I shall offend my master, I shall lose my trading, I shall lose my pride, my pleasures, I shall be mocked and scoffed; therefore I dare not come. I, saith another, will stay till I am older, till my children are out, till I am got a little aforehand in the world, till I have done this and that and the other business; but, alas! the thing is, they are not willing; for were they but soundly willing, these, and a thousand such as these, would hold them no faster than the cords held Samson when he broke them like burnt flax; I tell you the will is all: that is one of the chief things which turns the wheel either backwards or forwards; and God knoweth that full well, and so likewise doth the devil, and therefore they both endeavor very much to strengthen the will of their
servants. God, he is for making of his a willing people to serve him; and the devil, he doth what he can to possess the will and affection of those that are his with love to sin; and therefore when Christ comes close to the matter, indeed, saith he, “You will not come to me.” “How often would I have gathered you as a hen doth her chickens, but you would not!” The devil had possessed their wills, and so long he was sure enough of them. Oh therefore cry hard to God to inflame thy will for heaven and Christ — thy will, I say: if that be rightly set for heaven, thou wilt not be beat off with discouragements; and this was the reason that when Jacob wrestled with the angel, though he lost a limb as it were, and the hollow of his thigh was put out of joint as he wrestled with him, yet, saith he, “I will not” —mark, I will not — ”let thee go except thou bless me.” Get thy will tipped with the heavenly grace and resolution against all thy discouragements, and then thou goest full speed for leaven; but if thou falter in thy will and be not sound there, thou wilt run hobbling and halting all the way’ thou runnest, and ‘also to be sure thou wilt fall short at last. The Lord give thee a will and courage! Thus base I done with directing’ thee how to run to the kingdom; be sure thou keep in memory what I have said unto thee, lest thou lose thy way. But because I would have thee think of them, take all in short in this little bit of paper:
1. Get into the way.
2. Then study on it.
3. Then strip and lay aside everything that would hinder.
4. Beware of by-paths.
5. Do not gaze and stare too much about thee, but be sure to ponder
the path of thy feet.
6. Do not stop for any that call after thee, whether it be the world, the
flesh, or the devil, for all these will hinder thy journey if possible.
7. Be not daunted with any discouragements thou meet-est with as
thou goest.
8. Take heed of stumbling at the cross.
9. Cry hard to God for an enlightened heart and willing mind, and God
give thee a prosperous journey!"

Related Tags: , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe in Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online Add Reading the great Protestant books to Newsburst from CNET News.com Add to Google Subscribe in FeedLounge